Welcome to FAQ Fridays. Our weekly blog designed to answer your everyday questions regarding everything about windshields and how to order them. Review our latest post!
Our Goal is to help our riders as much as we can with any questions they may have.
How can Clearview Shields help me choose the correct height?
Clearview Shields offers a variety of height options to customize the windshield to the rider. Our goal for every rider is to tailor fit the best windscreen to your personal Body Size, Motorcycle Modifications, Riding style, and Expectations.
A rider’s body size is the most influential part of determining the correct windshield height. In addition to how tall you are, your sitting height and seat compression will alter the height of windshield you need.
The next aspect to choosing your windshield height is your riding style. Riding style defines how you generally approach riding your motorcycle. Do you take an aggressive “leaned in” posture ready to take riding full throttle or is it a more relaxed “laid back” posture?
Another factor is the rider’s screen view. Much of what Clearview Shields is about is to establish a Clearview of the road ahead whether it’s through or over the windshield.
Looking Over the Shield:
With the Correct Height Shield using this method for everyday riding you will be able to look over the shield by 1”-2” so you have a Clearview of the road ahead.
Checking the Height:
- On a level surface, place an object on the ground 50 feet in front of your bike
- Sit on your bike in your normal riding position
- Your line of sight should go just over the top edge of the shield while looking at the object
- If you do not have a level surface, the top edge of the shield should be at nose level
Looking Through the Shield:
With the correct height shield, the top edge of the shield will be 2”-3” above your line of sight.
Checking the Height:
- On a level surface, sit on your bike in your normal riding position
- While looking straight ahead, measure the height that will be 2”-3” up from your line of sight
- With this height, you will not have the top edge of the shield directly in your view
Regardless of your screen view, there are 2 ways to measure the height:
- Length – Measuring from the top of the shield to the bottom along the shield surface. On some of our shields where we have changed the angle of the shield for improved performance, the length may not be the recommended measurement because the length may actually be longer and the top edge of the shield may be lower due to the angle.
- Vertical Height – Measuring at a 90 Degree Angle Straight up from a common point referenced on our website for your model of motorcycle. This is the recommended method where vertical height measurements are listed. We suggest having someone hold a tape measure or ruler so you can sit comfortably on your bike.
*Have a 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide? Check out our Rider Profiles to compare your body with that of one of our test riders to see which shield might work best for you!*
No matter what height you choose for your windshield, make sure you are riding with a ClearView.
Feel free to contact us with any other questions, comments, or concerns.
To email our customer service department: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or you can give us a call toll free at 1-800-798-6089.
Social Media Coordinator